3.24.2009

What I Did in English Class Today

*NOTE: Each title indicates a new line of thought, meaning that a new stanza is not a new poem. The French one (actually written in French class, which is right after English) is followed by an approximate translation.*

This is embarrassing
I know you know it:
Poetry embarrasses.
Showing your bare soul,
your views on life, and your dreams,
takes more guts than you'd believe.

Three Important Questions
If I string haikus
on a thread of emotion,
and add some tankas
to embellish on my thoughts,
can I still call it haiku?

If there are no breaks
between each of the stanzas,
or if I allow
sentences to cross over,
let the punctuation extend
beyond barriers
set down by Japan's poets,
so long as I keep
the syllables in their lines,
will my work be recognized?

If I give you but
another question, not the
answers that you seek,
will my poems you admire
for the beauty they create?

The (Un)Answer
There are no answers,
so don't waste your time on truths.
Let your questions flow.

Biodegradable
Please conserve paper.
Print your poems in columns.
Put them in your blog.
Maybe you could just read them.
It's better for them and Earth.

Juice
I'm having a draught
in my mind's creative depths.
I know that poets
write, but also read daily.
Think they just run out of juice?

En Français
Qu'est-ce que c'est le mot
pour dire "tanka" en français?
Peut-être c'est la même,
mais il faut être "difficile."
Je ne les vois pas partout.

Translation:
In French
What is the word
to say "tanka" in French?
Maybe it's the same,
but it should be "difficult."
I don't see them everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay comments!! Constructive criticisms are most definitely welcome here, and some profanity will be allowed, just so any posts containing such will not make Alicia come off as a hypocrite. Merry Commentating! :D